Bonded Samarium Cobalt Magnets
The bonded samarium cobalt materials are anisotropic magnets which are manufactured by using binders such as epoxy resins to hold the powder in place, rather than sintering the alloy. Though coating is provided to the magnets to prevent them from corrosion but samarium cobalt magnets do not need any coatings or platings after processing. However, for
cleanliness sometimes advanced coating is provided. The coating in this case acts much like a sealant. Occasionally the samarium cobalt (SmCo) magnet may get discolored which is typically due to some iron impurities and is generally not a cause for plating. The rusting appearance does not continue through the material.
Bonded samarium cobalt magnets posses following features:
- Can be worked in high temperature.
- Excellent resistance to corrosion due to which coating is not required.
- Various shapes of high dimensional accuracy can be produced without further processing.
- These magnets offers higher magnetic strength than injection molded magnets due to their higher magnetic particle density.
- The epoxy binder used is resistant to normal industrial solvent and automotive fluids.
- These magnets are available using many isotropic neodymium iron boron material grades as well as crushed & powdered samarium cobalt materials.
- Axial motors
- Micro motors
- Electronic industries